I Think I’m Back

May 13th, 2008

How does one return to blogging after an absence of several months? How does one return to perfume blogging without being utterly and totally sucked in (some might laugh at this but it is indeed a thing to fear)? How does one blog about perfume from a different hemisphere, of all things? Such questions have been roaming through my mind lately. I suppose I can say I’m well settled in my home country by now, with a fair amount of culture shock still present. I’m also unemployed and happily so as I have the privilege to reside in a most peaceful spot amongst slender pine trees, constant bird chirping, and village chimney smoke. I do, however, long for a creative outlet of sorts, and while perfume in general doesn’t quite cut it, writing about it comes the closest. You might wonder what I mean by this and rightly so. The five-year obsession as such subsided last summer, right around my trip to New York for a mini-Sniffathon with Miss Colombina. In its stead, a sober, critical observer emerged. This observer feels more or less ready to come out of slumber. In other words, if you’re still out there, dear readers, stay tuned for my random occasional ramblings, if you so desire. I will be posting when I have something to say. Your questions/comments are welcome, as always.

• 1. Billy D  |  May 13th, 2008 at 10:11 am

Yay, come back! I still use your site as a one-stop link source for all my favorite blogs (except Scented Salamander–what’s up with that?), but I’d love to read your reviews yet again!

• 2. Lucy  |  May 13th, 2008 at 12:53 pm

Yours was always one of my very favorite sites on perfume and beauty. It will be wonderful to read whatever you care to give on what you are engaged in now, be it perfume or the landscape or cultural differences…so glad you are back!

• 3. Nina  |  May 14th, 2008 at 5:48 am

Yippee!! I am very, very pleased to see you back. Aromascope was one of my favourite blogs, and the first one I hit every morning. I have missed your reviews horribly! But I also understand how grinding a blog can be…so post when you feel like it, and I’ll keep checking. Welcome back!

• 4. indie_tea  |  May 15th, 2008 at 1:55 am

It is lovely to see you back, as I’ve become a secret fan of your blog in your absence.
    I love your taste in scents!

• 5. sweetlife  |  May 15th, 2008 at 4:37 pm

Welcome back, Ina! Came over here after I saw your comment on Victoria’s latest. Glad to see you are writing again, and I hope you won’t feel you have to stick strictly to perfume as I’m sure I’m not the only one curious about your new life — and its scents!

• 6. tmp00  |  May 15th, 2008 at 10:10 pm

Ina!

I am so happy you’re back! Can’t wait to read more!

• 7. sara  |  May 15th, 2008 at 10:49 pm

Hi Ina! I’m glad you are back online–I look forward to reading any of your musings and reviews. My fragrance fanaticism has abated a great deal but I always enjoy your thoughts! Cheers!!

• 8. Genia  |  May 16th, 2008 at 8:59 am

??????! ? ???? ?????? ???????????. ?????! :)

• 9. Marina  |  May 16th, 2008 at 9:58 am

Ura! Finally! :-)

• 10. Martin F  |  May 16th, 2008 at 10:03 am

I’m happy to hear this from you!

• 11. zara  |  May 16th, 2008 at 12:35 pm

hi and welcome back! my firefox bookmarks have felt so lonely without your posts ;) looking forward to new reviews and musing

• 12. Victoria  |  May 16th, 2008 at 12:52 pm

Inochka, I so happy you are writing again! I am looking forward to your sober, critical observations. :)
    xoxo

• 13. Judith  |  May 17th, 2008 at 6:45 am

Yay!!! So glad to see you here Ina. You have been sorely missed. Hope everything is going well for you, and can’t wait to hear more!
    J

• 14. winterwheat  |  May 18th, 2008 at 4:44 pm

Yep, still here, and so glad you’re back! Can’t wait to read your first substantive post. :-)

• 15. Ina  |  May 19th, 2008 at 1:27 pm

Thank you, all, for your kind words! Warms my heart to know you’re still there. :)

• 16. Flora  |  May 22nd, 2008 at 12:34 am

INA! you’re back!!! So happy to hear from you. I have missed your lovely writing!

• 17. chayaruchama  |  May 22nd, 2008 at 6:18 am

Whooppee !
    MWAH !

• 18. SuburbanSue  |  May 22nd, 2008 at 9:13 pm

Ina, I completely resonated with your post, because my own perfume obsession burned itself out in the summer of ’05. It was such an odd experience — from ’03 to ’05 I lived and breathed perfume, accumulated more decants and samples and bottles than I could count, spent hours on MUA and other perfume boards, scoured eBay for deals, read perfume books, etc. Then one day I woke up and realized I was no longer that interested in it. I had no burning desire to sniff the latest release, to own the most exclusive or discontinued vintage scent. No idea why that happened, but it did. I’ve retained a mild interest in fragrances, but nothing like my prior obsession. Anyway, enough about me; just wanted to let you know you’re not the only one who’s been through “fragrance burnout,” and I’m glad to see you blogging again :-)

• 19. Marsha Smith  |  May 23rd, 2008 at 3:42 pm

Ina!!! I’ve missed you so much!! I hope you are happy with your move and are settled in. Please write some more soon. I never stopped checking by to see if you had started up again.

• 20. GalileosDaughter  |  May 29th, 2008 at 7:34 am

What a happy surprise to see you blogging again! :)

May 2008