Top Fall Scents

October 25th, 2007

I miss blogging. Actually, to be more precise, I miss the times when blogging about perfume was one of the highlights of my day. As you might have noticed (ironically as it might sound considering I’m surrounded by it pretty much daily), perfume has hardly been my top priority. From a proactive, involved enthusiast I’ve turned into a sober, distant observer. I still enjoy perfume and wear it frequently but gone are the days of mad obsessions and insane lemmings. It’s somewhat sad as is often the case with an end of a life stage but it’s also comforting and valid. In other words, to bring this to some sort of a logical conclusion, I’m here to tell you Aromascope is definitely on an indefinite break.

However, today is the day when perfume bloggers unite to share their Top Ten Fall Scents, and I couldn’t miss that, could I? One of the benefits of my waning interest has been an intensified focus on my Holy Grail fragrances, i.e., the ones I can turn to and wear no matter what. Looking back at my fall scents post of last year, I must say this year’s picks are hardly autumnal. Pardon me for not coming up with ten of them but here are the tested and true ones…

Black Orchid Voile de Fleur by Tom Ford – the one and only version of Black Orchid I can wear and adore. Thank goodness for this! Black Orchid is one of those scents that have a very powerful contradictory effect on me – that of absolute simultaneous love and loathing. Voile de Fleur is the perfect relief of such a torment. Basically, all the dirty, aquatic, mushroomy patchouli is gone, and all I get is lush flowers with a hint of leather. What’s not to love?

Iris Poudre by Frederic Malle- not a whole lot to say other than it’s a true classic and perfect for any occasion/mood/weather/you name it.

Mure et Musc Extreme by L’Artisan Parfumeur – a somewhat newly acquired love. A great example of a perfectly blended fragrance, with just enough of everything – citrus, fruitiness, and musk to make it both clean and dirty and so very sultry.

Amaze by People Of The Labyrinths – never ceases to amaze me.

Rose en Noir by Miller Harris – a rare find as it’s only available in London but I was lucky enough to snatch a bottle on eBay. All things rose in one smashing potion – jam, lipstick, petals.

Plus Que Jamais by Guerlain – because I’m still a Guerlain girl at heart (although that part has been a bit dormant lately). I love it more than ever (just had to throw it in there).

To sum it all up: 1) I love rose; 2) I’m more into florals than I’ve ever been before; 3) I’m in a state of utter olfactory contentment.

Please be sure to check the following blogs for their fall favorites:

Bois de Jasmin :: Now Smell This :: Perfume Posse :: Perfume Smellin’ Things :: Scentzilla

• 1. Leopoldo  |  October 26th, 2007 at 2:27 am

Lovely to see you hear and read your words. Though I miss you, I’m delighted to hear of your contentment, even if your journey has paused in a very different place to mine…

• 2. Elle  |  October 26th, 2007 at 5:28 am

I miss reading Aromascope every morning! But I completely understand your need for this indefinite break.
    And I can’t believe I left Rose en Noir off my list! Live for that stuff!

• 3. Marina  |  October 26th, 2007 at 5:40 am

It’s like we are moving along the same trajectory. Roses, florals, contentment…Miss your posts!!
    Signed,
    Fragrance Twin

• 4. Judith  |  October 26th, 2007 at 6:46 am

I do miss hearing from you, but I think I know how you feel. I am experiencing a similar distancing. . . maybe it’s part of the perfume curve. I posted on PST and PP, but here are some I neglected there: MKK, Maharadjah, Vanille Tonka, Rose de Nuit.

• 5. silvia  |  October 26th, 2007 at 7:03 am

So happy to read your post ! You have been greatly missed. If you felt like writing on other non-perfume related stuff, am sure your loyal readers would follow anywhere you want to take them.

• 6. chayaruchama  |  October 26th, 2007 at 7:03 am

Oh, Inochka-
    It’s lovely to see you again !
    I miss you- but I feel better if I know it’s because you’re all right.
    You bring out the mama in me.
    Love your picks- and those of the sexy redhead, Ms. Judith.

• 7. Genia  |  October 26th, 2007 at 7:58 am

Dear Ina, I am glad to see you. I miss your posts too. But I think, I understand you.
    Rose en Noir by Miller Harris – Oh, yeee, baby! I do not have it but I`m looking for that. Perfect for fall.
    And Plus Que Jamais by Guerlain is my favorite too.
    + any amber is my fall scent.

• 8. Robin  |  October 26th, 2007 at 8:34 am

So nice to see you Ina! Wish you could start a series of posts on what it is like to be an SA — given how much we all complain about them, it would be cool to hear from the other side of the counter!

And sounds like I need to get some of the Miller Harris. How does it compare to Drole de Rose or PdN Balkis??

• 9. Gaia  |  October 26th, 2007 at 9:00 am

It’s good to see you post again, even if you’re on a break.
    Lately I’ve realized that I no longer do the seasonal thing all that much, unless the weather is extreme. My natural preference is always for the dark and deep scents. Yesterday it was Cuir Ottoman, right now I’m trying to decide between Fumerie Turque and Miel de Bois for the day (*watching amused as everyone scatters away in fear*).

• 10. violetnoir  |  October 26th, 2007 at 10:56 am

Miss you, Ina, but good to hear that you are doing well!

Hugs!

• 11. tmp00  |  October 26th, 2007 at 11:23 am

The selfish part of me is drumming my feet on the floor and whinging heartily that you will be on hiatus. The hopeful part of me is clinging to the note that this is a “break” and not an ending. Of course. I wish you only the best, and hope that you will one day grace us with more of your prose.

• 12. sweetlife  |  October 26th, 2007 at 2:45 pm

Adding my voice to the chorus — especially to the part about the break being a result of contentment. I was a little worried (I do worry…). And yes, I’d love to read anything you feel you can share about the perfume biz from ordering and selling to watching the customers, though perhaps you’d have to begin again with an assumed name…?

• 13. Katie  |  October 26th, 2007 at 5:56 pm

Heh, you and Marina both are rose nuts :) I almost picked Habanita, not because I wear it well, but that always feels to me like the basic fall rose choice in a way. It’s old-fashioned, but never UNfashionable, you know?

I may just have to at least try the Black Orchid Voile de Fleur, despite my personal policy to avoid TF when and where I can, heh. Sounds like something interesting enough to get over myself ;)

• 14. martin f  |  October 27th, 2007 at 4:42 am

I’ll buy bottles ofr Müre et Musc and Guet-Apens in tribute of Aromascope! As tmp00 above I’m saying this is only a break and not an ending. Good luck!

• 15. sarahn  |  October 29th, 2007 at 8:39 am

Nice to hear from you again, Ina. I enjoyed meeting you at the store a few weeks ago. Thanks again for the spritz of Iris Pallida. I might have to splurge on a full bottle. Hope you continue to blog, on whatever topic interests you!

• 16. Flora  |  October 29th, 2007 at 3:18 pm

How nice to read your post! You are definitely missed.

As usual, your taste is excellent. I must tryA-Maze one of these days, everyone seems to love it.

• 17. Ina  |  November 4th, 2007 at 9:44 pm

Thank you all for your comments! I do miss you. I really hope to be back soon…

• 18. MonkeyPosh  |  November 8th, 2007 at 4:23 pm

Hi I,

I agree about the TF Voile de Fleur. I just did not like the other Black Orchid…not at all.
    I also love Mure et Musc and I need to try Amaze. I am AMAZED that I have never even sampled it. I need to get on that.

Hope you are doing well despite your blogging break.

• 19. april  |  December 2nd, 2007 at 12:43 pm

Any help will be greatly appereciated: Im desperatly trying to find a woderful perfume that is so dear to me, because it represents all of the good and love that my mother is! It is called Nephtys and comes from Egypt. At one time it was called Nefertiti, but the name had , be changed for obious licencing reasons. The seller was a company in Magnolia Mass. called Hakims of ancient Egpt. During the late 60s up until the mid 80s. It was marketed alone and in a sample box with a few others called Shezerade, Jasmine, Aida and Cleopatra. That is all I know. Can anyone out there help or point me to the appropriate expert. It seeme trivial but means more than I can say! Thanks

• 20. bleed  |  December 13th, 2007 at 11:55 am

hi… you got spamlinks in your code linking to our site (thats how i noticed), that you can only see if javascript is turned off. to get rid of them check your footer (there is probably an additional and unwanted wp-footer include, more info here: http://wordpress.org/support/topic/123108/page/2). btw. they come back if you do not update your wordpress installation.

• 21. Mr. Aromascope  |  December 14th, 2007 at 10:50 pm

bleed: Thanks for notifying us of this. Upgrading WordPress fixed the problem.

• 22. Aromascope » Best O&hellip  |  December 27th, 2007 at 10:59 pm

[...] Voile de Fleur by Tom Ford [...]

• 23. Tuberose Series Part 1: T&hellip  |  February 9th, 2010 at 11:23 pm

[...] hours), mild to moderate sillage. Review Report: Perfume-Smellin’ Things, Now Smell This, Aromascope, Blogdorf [...]

• 24. Top Ten Fall Fragrances 2&hellip  |  April 5th, 2012 at 6:13 pm

[...] there are far more than 10 fragrances. For more Top 10 of Fall lists please see the following: Aromascope :: Bois de Jasmin ::Now Smell This :: Perfume Posse :: Perfume-Smellin’ Things :: Scentzilla [...]

• 25. The Posse's Top 10&hellip  |  August 24th, 2012 at 11:44 pm

[...] out the Top 10 posts on our fellow fragrance blogs: Aromascope, Bois de Jasmin, Now Smell This, Perfume-Smellin’ Things, and [...]

October 2007