Huh?

September 7th, 2007

My DNA Fragrance.

P.S. Maybe this is the solution to my slump?

Entry Filed under: 1

• 1. Marina  |  September 8th, 2007 at 11:40 am

I am sorta curious. But not curious enough to do anything about it :-)

• 2. Flora  |  September 8th, 2007 at 2:11 pm

OK, this is officially weird – and they don’t tell you HOW they “match” your DNA to the fragrance that’s “right” for you – however, some of the optional bottles are pretty cool, I want some of them as empties just so I can play around with my own perfume. :-D

• 3. ben  |  September 8th, 2007 at 8:57 pm

Sounds like a shame, squarely aimed at perfume maniacs… don’t do it!

• 4. Tigs  |  September 9th, 2007 at 12:47 am

Okay, that’s so ridiculous it made my day. Thanks for letting us all know!

• 5. Leopolodo  |  September 10th, 2007 at 2:32 am

Ridiculous, though I’ll gladly stump up some of the cash so that you can do it! I think it might end up being a grand ole disappointment though –
    I’m sure everyone gets the same basic fruity-floral with a dibdab of something slightly different…

• 6. Marsha Smith  |  September 10th, 2007 at 7:36 am

Is anyone sure this is legit? It sounds like a good old con.

• 7. Existentialist  |  September 10th, 2007 at 11:57 am

I guess I am not too thrilled with the idea of sending someone a sample of my DNA. There was a lot of speculation as to what kinds of nefarious uses that kind of information could be put to, by, say, health insurance companies, potential employers, etc. And even if I am paranoid, Leopoldo has a good point. I think I would pass on this. It would be more fun to go to Memoire Liquide anyway.

• 8. tmp00  |  September 11th, 2007 at 10:36 am

If they’d just let me spit into a cotton ball and mail it to them for $10 I might think of doing it. A solid Benjamin, though? Not a prayer.

• 9. SniffQ  |  September 11th, 2007 at 7:44 pm

Man, this kind of stuff scares the sh** out of me. OK, so I’m a privacy freak. I’ll admit it.

• 10. Ina  |  September 11th, 2007 at 10:22 pm

Thanks, all, for your input, as always. I must assure you I have no intention of doing it (as desperate as I may be these days). I agree, it’s weird and creepy and is most likely a scam of some sort. Meanwhile, I continue in my perfume apathy… Sigh.

• 11. Cindy  |  September 17th, 2007 at 9:05 pm

I wouldn’t worry they can get are dna from any public place. I think it’s a good idea, now i don’t have to walk into a room and smell like some every one else. There website is very nice one of the best I ever seen. They probably don’t tell you how its made because it is a trade secret. I read the press release on there site it eludes to this.

• 12. BOP News - Blog on Perfum&hellip  |  November 8th, 2007 at 6:44 am

[...] Aromascope led me to a website called DNA Fragrance, which – for $114.98 – will take a swab of your DNA from inside your mouth, then will base a new fragrance around your DNA. They promise it won’t smell bad, and it’s not a pheramone. A few of the commenters on the Aromascope comments remain skeptical, including SniffQ: If you read the privacy policy, you’ll notice that they SEEM to protect you, but can, according to their own policy, submit your DNA to the the master health insurance bureau or the CIA, or, for that matter, the police. And while they tell you they will protect it, the Homeland Security rules now in place say that any DNA sample have to be turned over when asked for. Naaahhh, I’ll find my own perfumes. This just creeps me out. [...]

September 2007