Perfume Review: Ellie D Perfume

March 15th, 2007

Ellie DEffortlessly beautiful… how can this be achieved in perfume? I’ve always marveled at such a thing. Perhaps, if you take a simple, elegant idea and a talented perfumer to give it life, a masterpiece is bound to happen. Ellie D, the new scent by Jessica Dunne, is exactly that. Inspired by the memories of her grandmother Eleanor (Ellie) Dunne, an artist and an art collector, the scent is infused “with a youthful and modern sensibility, born of nostalgia”. The perfumer, Michel Roudnitska (the son of the legendary Edmond Roudnitska), has more than proven his mastery in such creations as Noir Epices by Frederic Malle, Amoureuse, Bois de Paradis, Debut, Eau Illuminee by Parfums DelRae. It comes as no surprise Ellie D is so delicately beautiful – no other words are necessary.

Very much in the style of the DelRae creations, Ellie D is perhaps the most delectable lily of the valley I’ve ever encountered. I’ll be bold enough to say it’s the modern day Diorissimo, a little more tame, a little less animalic/indolic. The top notes of bergamot, tangerine, and cyclamen are green and stemmy. The flowers unfold in the heart – a fragile blend of lily of the valley and jasmine. The drydown rests on soft, muted vetiver and sandalwood. Ellie D came to me as a breath of fresh spring air, on the first warm day of early spring, and such it will always be. Beautiful. Effortless. Elegant.

Ellie D features the notes of bergamot, tangerine, cyclamen, lily of the valley, jasmine, gardenia, rose, fig leaves, vetiver, sandalwood, musk, vanilla, and coconut. It’s available exclusively at Henri Bendel’s in New York City. For more information, please check the Ellie D Perfume web site.

P.S. Victoria at Bois de Jasmin did an excellent interview with Michel Roudnitska.

Image source: elliedperfume.com

• 1. Leopoldo  |  March 15th, 2007 at 4:13 am

You’re right – this one is exceptionally and effortlessly beautiful. It’s also designed for people for whom spending wads of cash is similarly effortless…

• 2. chayaruchama  |  March 15th, 2007 at 5:38 am

How delightful !
    Makes me want to sniff you, right now.
    Does our boy hint that this is outrageously costly ?
    Boo, hiss.

• 3. Elle  |  March 15th, 2007 at 7:00 am

Delicately beautiful – that’s exactly it! But – makes sign of cross, knocks on wood, tosses salt over shoulder – I get fairly minimal lotv. On my skin the green notes are the ones that shine. The ideal springtime scent. *Needs* to be released as an edp so it can be sprayed.

• 4. Marina  |  March 15th, 2007 at 7:58 am

Modern day Diorissimo?? Darn. :-) Couldn’t you say something bad about it? The price is a killer.

• 5. Patty  |  March 15th, 2007 at 12:02 pm

I agree with every word. I get less of the LotV, too, but it’s one of the few LotVs that are wearable for me. It is pure gorgeousness.

It does need to be released as an EDP, and there is a great Contac button on their website, and we’ve already started the letter-writing campaign to get that edp or edt.

• 6. Ina  |  March 15th, 2007 at 12:13 pm

Leo, eep! I know! I wish it was a bit more affordable.

• 7. Ina  |  March 15th, 2007 at 12:13 pm

Chaya, yes, pretty costly. Something like $185 for 15 ml.

• 8. Ina  |  March 15th, 2007 at 12:14 pm

Elle, the lily of the valley is very green on my skin. Great idea for an edp!

• 9. Ina  |  March 15th, 2007 at 12:14 pm

Marina, you said it yourself. ;)

• 10. Ina  |  March 15th, 2007 at 12:14 pm

Patty, how cool! I hope they release it!

• 11. violetnoir  |  March 15th, 2007 at 12:24 pm

I agree with Patty. I plan to make a suggestion on the website, too, for them to release it in EdP.

In the meantime, I am waiting for my sample. Since it’s MR and the PdR line is one of my favorites, I probably don’t need to sample it first, but I just want to make sure. :)

Hugs!

• 12. Ina  |  March 15th, 2007 at 12:31 pm

Robin, if you love Debut, you’ll love Ellie D. :) It’s like a more gentle, smoother version of Debut.

• 13. Aromascope » Best O&hellip  |  December 28th, 2007 at 7:11 pm

[...] Ellie D [...]

• 14. YOUTH DEW by Estee Lauder&hellip  |  April 10th, 2012 at 3:28 pm

[...] notes etc and you can buy from them, PerfumeSmellingThings agrees with me but says it better; AromaScope says something [...]

March 2007