Perfume Review: Eau Noire by Christian Dior

January 16th, 2007

Eau NoireIt looks like the weather has finally chosen to get back to winter (which is always the case in January), and we had our first so-called snow storm in weeks – lovely snow flakes which turned into water as soon as they touched the ground. I grabbed my warmest fleece scarf, wrapped it around my neck twice, and bravely marched the streets of Chicago (I proudly choose walking over public transport). Needless to say, I didn’t go scentless. As I was relishing in the warmth of my fleece scarf, I craved an olfactory equivalent of that sensation and picked none other than Dior’s Eau Noire, probably the most “fleece-like” scent I know.

Eau Noire is part of the cologne trio (Bois d’Argent and Cologne Blanche being the other two), created under the direction of Dior’s men’s clothing designer Hedi Slimane by Francis Kurkdjian. These colognes are brilliantly made, with unique compositions that are both classic and modern, and can be worn both by men and women (and then some!) Eau Noire seems to be the most fitting for winter with its warm, bitter-sweet effect. It features such typical for men’s colognes notes as thyme, sage, lavender, and cedar. In Eau Noire, however, the result is far from crisp and well-groomed. Thanks to immortelle and vanilla pairing, it has a slightly sweet, curry-like accord in which the lavender and herbs are simmering. It’s both cozy and elegant, and can be easily dressed up or down. I simply adore it!

Eau Noire is available at Neiman Marucs, Saks, and eLuxury.

Image source: www.eluxury.com

• 1. chaya ruchama  |  January 16th, 2007 at 7:06 am

I really love this, too.
    It’s a great comfort scent, and the immortelle doesn’t completely run away with it [the way it tends to, particularly in Sables- which I love, but takes days to wash off !].

I didn’t wind up buying it, because it didn’t last very long on me, and I really didn’t want such a big bottle… plus, it’s not as if I’m at a perfume loss [are ANY of us?].
    A girl has to exhibit a MODICUM of self-restraint, every millenium, or so…

Love you !

• 2. Leopoldo  |  January 16th, 2007 at 7:22 am

Chaya, restraining herself? Now, that I’d pay to see!

I love this too, but only every once in a while. A 10 ml decant is more than enough forever, I think. It does sometimes make me wonder whether I need a main course or a dessert….

• 3. Elle  |  January 16th, 2007 at 7:55 am

Actually, snow flakes that turn to water on the ground are the type that make me the happiest. Good visuals coming down, but nothing to interfere w/ taking a long walk since I have zero balance on even the slightest slick surface and I *hate* having to stay indoors. Yeah, basically I want tropical weather year round w/ access to photographs of winter and wintery scents.
    Must go put on some Eau Noire immediately.

• 4. March  |  January 16th, 2007 at 8:10 am

Immortelle!! Swoooooooooooon!

I think all three are great, although, yeah, 10ml is enough for me.

What Chaya said about Sables.

• 5. Marina  |  January 16th, 2007 at 9:15 am

I LOVE this one. It is very fleecy! What a great word to use.

• 6. newproducts  |  January 16th, 2007 at 9:35 am

This one sounds interesting, with its typical men’s cologne notes and added immortelle and vanilla. Not sure what I think of a “curry-like accord” though! It sounds worth a try, at least.

• 7. Tigs  |  January 16th, 2007 at 10:28 am

Hey, y’all, email me. I ordered a bargin 250 ml bottle of this one on eBay in September and I FINALLY got it this week (a long and torturous tale…) When I get back to Calgary, I’d be happy to mail out some 5-10 ml decants of this free o’ charge as I was truly shocked at the size when I finally saw it. It looks like a bottle of an expensive ginseng ice tea drink, but the contents are authentic. Ina, I love this one too, it almost smells like curried lavender ice cream to me. Who knew we needed such a thing?

• 8. Ina  |  January 16th, 2007 at 10:27 pm

Chaya, what’s self-restraint? Agree with you on the size. This would fly off the shelves in 30 ml or 50 ml bottles.

• 9. Ina  |  January 16th, 2007 at 10:28 pm

Leo, I don’t reach for it that often either. Moreso in winter, obviously. I love its gourmand quality – it’s not too foody to be edible. :)

• 10. Ina  |  January 16th, 2007 at 10:29 pm

Elle, you sure can dream. ;)

• 11. Ina  |  January 16th, 2007 at 10:29 pm

March, indeeeed!! Love immortelle. Love Sables!

• 12. Ina  |  January 16th, 2007 at 10:30 pm

Marina, fleecy it is! ;)

• 13. Ina  |  January 16th, 2007 at 10:31 pm

Newproducts (btw, what’s your name?), oh yes, it’s definitely worth a try!

• 14. Ina  |  January 16th, 2007 at 10:31 pm

Tigs, thank you for your offer! I’m sure there’ll be people who’ll take you up on it. I’ll have to check my own supply. Thank you!
    Curried lavender ice cream?? How come I’ve never had it?

• 15. Luxury  |  August 10th, 2008 at 6:20 pm

I love the fact that this perfume is unisex!

• 16. A Seasoning of Samples: D&hellip  |  March 20th, 2012 at 3:01 pm

[...] WAFT :: Dane, at Pere de Pierre :: Dimitri, at Sorcery of Scent :: Gaia, the Non-Blonde :: Ina, at Aromascope :: Tommy, The Candy Perfume Boy :: Victoria, at Bois de Jasmin :: Victoria, at [...]

January 2007