Perfume Review: KenzoAmour

July 31st, 2006

KenzoamourI realized after my mini-sniffage this past weekend that I never did get a sample of the newest scent by Kenzo – Kenzoamour, so I just had to run back to Nordstrom’s after work to remedy that. Pathetic, I know. Hey, but Nordstrom’s is only a 5 minute walk for me. So I read this description on Nordstrom’s site today, The slow and sensuous journey of a couple through Asia, punctuated by encounters, bursts of laughter and smiles, soft sensations, pictures and perfumes brimming with life. Kenzo introduces a soft, sensual, happy fragrance with a woody, musky scent. Olfactory evocations of traveling through Asia, with memories of India, Indonesia, Japan, Burma and Thailand…. Lovely places, filled with vibrant colors and aromas. Notes: Frangipani blossoms from Bali or Borobudur, cherry blossoms from Japan, tanakha wood used decoratively in Burma by women and children, incense, Thai rice steam, vanilla of la RĂ©union and white tea from China”. Many questions arose in my head. First of all, why a couple? Secondly, what “soft sensations” and “perfumes brimming with life”? Needless to say, there will never be a logical answer to this, and I’m not even going to bother. What I do want to know, though, is who the heck writes this stuff? I want to meet that person.

But back to Kenzoamour. Luckily, I was able to find a more coherent description on a Russian site stating it was created by Olivier Cresp and Daphne Bugey (for their other creations, please consult the Noses page on Now Smell This). The bottle was designed by Karim Rashid, in reminiscence of creations by a famous Romanian sculptor Constantin Brancuzi. To be honest, the bottle is way more fascinating than the scent itself. No, it’s not a bad scent. On the contrary, it’s a gorgous Japanese cherry blossom and frangipani blend. The problem with that is it only lasts for about 30 seconds, and after that it’s a sort of bland white tea/vanilla mix. It’s so sweet it’s borderline cloying. On top of it, I’m getting a minty/anise note that gives the scent a little zing but just kind of stays there to the point of getting pesky. The staying power is lamentable as well. So I guess I saved me some dollars, folks. So much the better – there’re enough new releases that will seriously undermine my perfume budget this year (yes, I’m talking about you, Paprika Brasil, and you, Orris Noir).

Kenzoamour is currently available on Nordstrom’s online.

Image source: www.nordstrom.com

• 1. moon_fish  |  August 1st, 2006 at 1:01 am

Sometimes the only perfume-maniac remedy comes as new scent from selective Houses, sometimes not.

After good sptitz of Muthhela pour homme I`m resting in peace (literally!!!) for almost two weeks! That`s a Guinness record, no less!!!

• 2. chaya ruchama  |  August 1st, 2006 at 5:29 am

Thanks for the heads up, Ina…

I clearly await, with baited breath , the other two [sigh].

Keep cool in this beastly heat-

• 3. Elle  |  August 1st, 2006 at 6:02 am

You asked all the questions I was thinking of as I read that ridiculous press piece. What was their brief? To write the most inane thing they could think of? And be paid tons of money for it? But I love rice in scents, so I’m sorry it’s not there. And cloyingly sweet is *not* good. I adore Karim Rashid, though, and adore this bottle.

• 4. Judith  |  August 1st, 2006 at 8:14 am

Well, OK! The problem is, if you killed a (possible) lemming (I actually hadn’t thought much about this one), Moon-fish created one! I have noticed that my tastes are somewhat similar to his (leather and vetiver, yum), so I’m now off to search for Muthhela pour homme. Sigh.

• 5. Judith  |  August 1st, 2006 at 8:18 am

PS If you know how to obtain this relatively easily, M-F, please tell:)

• 6. Ina  |  August 1st, 2006 at 8:31 am

Sergey, first of all, so nice to see you here! :) Secondly, I read on your blog about Muthhela pour homme, and immediately pretended I didn’t see that. Now you mention it again, and for 2 whole weeks? Unbelievable. Is it something I need to track down?

• 7. Ina  |  August 1st, 2006 at 8:32 am

Chaya, I await them too, with probably more than baited breath. More like I’m developing a rash. ;)

• 8. Ina  |  August 1st, 2006 at 8:33 am

Elle, I know. Speaking of rice, I think I smell some here but not very prominently. At one point it reminded me of some rice pudding smell.

• 9. Ina  |  August 1st, 2006 at 8:33 am

Judith, see my post in response to his comment. ;) Totally! I thught I could walk around and pretend I’m clueless but not any more!

• 10. Marina  |  August 1st, 2006 at 8:35 am

There is yet to be a Kenzo scent that would do something for me. Don’t know why I have never had any luck with this line. The bottles are certainly always lovely.

• 11. Judith  |  August 1st, 2006 at 8:39 am

Ok, I found it at http://www.arabiafelix.fr. Arrrgh, they have a “femme” scent that sounds great too, and some others. I actually went as far as trying to buy, but I couldn’t make it work for the US, so I wrote them. Sorry to hijack your blog, Ina!:)

• 12. Ina  |  August 1st, 2006 at 8:53 am

Marina, same here!

• 13. Ina  |  August 1st, 2006 at 8:54 am

Judith! I’m gonna have to issue a special pass for your privileges to post comments here. ENABLER.

• 14. Judith  |  August 1st, 2006 at 9:18 am

LOL! I refuse to accept this until I can figure out how to get them to send to the US! So far, no luck:(

• 15. Ina  |  August 1st, 2006 at 9:34 am

Keep us posted, I guess.

• 16. Elle  |  August 1st, 2006 at 10:03 am

I tried calling the Muthhela people in Paris. Let’s just say my French is not up to par. I may try again later when the gentleman who is supposed to know something (English?) is in. WHY didn’t I work harder on my French instead of other less perfume oriented languages??

• 17. Ina  |  August 1st, 2006 at 10:30 am

Elle, I sympathize.

• 18. violetnoir  |  August 1st, 2006 at 10:40 am

Ina, I have never liked any of the Kenzo fragrances, but frangipani and cherry blossom??? Maybe it won’t fade on me (crossing fingers, ha, ha!).

Hugs!

• 19. Ina  |  August 1st, 2006 at 10:53 am

Robin, I was sold on frangipani, too. However, like I said, it only lasted for about 30 seconds.

• 20. Jenn  |  August 1st, 2006 at 12:14 pm

I couldn’t agree more with on Kenzo Amour. You can smell in for about 5 seconds, it then morphs for a moment into something very Ylang-Ylang on me, and then has a very dull vanillic dry down.

• 21. Ina  |  August 1st, 2006 at 1:59 pm

Jenn, right on. What a disappointment. Nice to see you here! :)

• 22. March  |  August 1st, 2006 at 5:03 pm

Is there a single Kenzo you love? I’ll go concentrate on it. On me thus far they seem to have zero lasting power. Those summer leaf things? Forget it. I think the line looks so cool, but I need some oomph! Suggestions, my new Fragrance Yoda?

• 23. Ina  |  August 1st, 2006 at 7:04 pm

March, no, I’m afraid there isn’t. I do kinda like the Summer Kenzo, in that yellow leaf type of bottle but even that gets on my nerves pretty quick. I used to like the red Flower parfum but got sick of it, again. Oh! Waitaminute. I do actually like Kenzo Air, for men. You should try it! Vetiver and anise.

• 24. Mzcla  |  March 11th, 2007 at 11:03 am

(Coming late to the party). No, I can’t agree with this opinion about Kenzo fragrances. Admittedly, L’eau par Kenzo is a rather typical fresh floral-aquatic scent – but quite charming, really. As a matter of fact, I think practically all Kenzo fragrances are defendable (to say the least ;) ) – but the ones that really stand out are in my opinion Jungle Elephant and Jungle le Tigre (the latter sadly discontinued). Both spicy orientals, Elephant sweeter and more overwhelming with a note reminiscent of violets or night-scented stock (neither among the official notes); le Tigre cinnamony and playful. Great staying power both, and (especially with the Elephant) you don’t want to overapply…

• 25. Marti  |  December 29th, 2007 at 7:54 pm

Disagree. This perfume is the only lasting one that I have and is adullt and sophisticated

July 2006